Our theme for March is Mindfulness
- Mission #10: Your Mindful Morning (March 7th)
- Mission #11: Your Mindful Commute (March 14th)
- Mission #12: Your Mindful Mealtime (March 21st)
- Mission #13: Your Mindful Evening (March 28th)
Make 3 Changes™ Monday Mission #12: Your Mindful Mealtime
Getting to 1:00 in the afternoon and realizing you haven’t eaten yet. Drive-thru’s. Processed snacks in bags. Multi-tasking meals. Eating out because the disparate ingredients in your fridge and pantry can’t possibly produce a meal (unless you’re on a cooking game show). Cereal for dinner because you can’t make another decision today.
If any of this sounds familiar, this week’s mission might be just what you need to make your mealtimes more mindful.
Food for Thought
- When was the last time you planned, prepared, enjoyed & savored a meal?
- When was the last time you were truly grateful for the gift of having so much choice, so much freedom to eat whatever you like, whenever you like? For most of us, this is a reality we take for granted on a daily basis.
- When was the last time you were really deliberate about the food you ate and how it would fuel your body, your activities, your energy for the day?
Fast Track to More Mindful Meals
A few years ago my husband Chris and I participated in a 24-hour fast with our church. We started on Sunday at 5pm and ended on Monday at 5pm. We agreed to meet at Qdoba at 5:00 to break our fast. As we stood in line, starving, it hit me like a ton of bricks. For us, our fast ends at a restaurant with whatever we want to eat. For those in extreme poverty and living in the worst of circumstances, this is just the beginning. There’s no restaurant relief, no looking forward to a meal they can count on. It made us realize that a more appropriate way for us to have ended the fast would have been a simple meal of beans and rice prepared in our kitchen, shared at our table, with gratitude and presence.
Think about breakfast, lunch and dinner in the last week.
- How many meals a week did you eat in front of the television?
- How many meals a week did you eat on the run, in your car?
- How many meals a week did you plan and prepare at home?
What would it look like if it worked?
- If you could transform your meals into mindful meals, what would that look like?
- How would the quality of your life improve if you became more mindful at mealtime?
We have a problem in our culture around food. There’s no way I can even scratch the surface of all this in a little blog post, nor do I want to. But I do want to invite you to think about how your choices are impacting the lives of the little ones in your family. How is the quality of your food impacting your health, their health. What is the message you’re sending about mealtime?
Are you modeling behavior that will support them as they grow up and make decisions of their own about food and mealtime? Are you making good decisions about what you’re eating so you can be at your best?
Mission #12: Your Mindful Mealtime
- What if you were to become more mindful about your meals?
- What if you made one meal each day a mindful one?
- Which meal would it be? Breakfast? Lunch? Dinner?
- What difference would it make in your life?
- How would it change the quality of your day?
- How would it impact the relationships in your life?
Your mission this week is to create a more mindful mealtime at least 3 times this week.
Make 3 Changes™
What 3 Changes are you willing to make for a more mindful mealtime? They don’t have to be BIG changes. Here are a few examples for you.
- Breakfast. If you don’t normally eat breakfast or if it’s rushed and in your car, what if you sat down to a nice breakfast at home before heading out the door?
- Lunch. Instead of eating at your desk, take a 20 to 30 minute break to eat and enjoy your lunch. Go to a restaurant you like. Bring food you prepared and take it to a park or other outside area you enjoy.
- Dinner. Instead of eating in front of the television, sit at the table. Even if it’s just you. Prepare a nice meal for yourself. Sit down. Enjoy it. Appreciate it. Savor each bite. Make it an experience.
Commit to the changes you want to make. Write them down! Post them where you’ll see them. Give them your attention. Ask for accountability. Experience the satisfaction that comes from living by design, not default.
Declare & Share! Let me know what you came up with and how you did! Check the facebook page this week for additional resources and inspiration to help make your mealtime more mindful. Experience how doing so can make a difference in your life, the lives of those you love and the lives of those you lead!
What is Make 3 Changes?
Make 3 Changes™ is a framework designed to help leaders move forward during times of change, challenge and opportunity. For more information about the Make 3 Changes™ framework and how you can use it to navigate changes in your world with more clarity, confidence and commitment, email firstname.lastname@example.org
What are the Make 3 Changes Monday Missions?
These weekly missions are designed to get you thinking differently about various aspects of your life. Each month will feature several missions within a theme, helping you to build awareness, create alignment and take action. It is my hope they provide you with the tools you need to create positive and lasting change in your life, the lives of those you love, those you lead and those you serve. Thanks for being here at the start of it. Always open to feedback about your experience. Let’s have some fun and make some changes!