APRIL THEME: ACCOUNTABILITY
Mission #14: Embracing and Inviting Accountability – April 4
Mission #15: Your Secret Weapon: An Accountability Partner – April 11
Mission #16: The ABC’s of Accountability – April 18
Mission #17: The Absence of Accountability – April 25
MAKE 3 CHANGES™ MONDAY MISSION #15:
Your Secret Weapon: An Accountability Partner
“As iron sharpens iron, so one man sharpens another.” Proverbs 27:17
Last week our focus was encouraging and inviting accountability in your life. This week, it’s all about taking that one step further and finding an accountability partner who can support you, encourage you, challenge you and inspire you to keep moving forward. Are you willing to seek and provide accountability?
Some questions to ask yourself
• In what area of your life would you benefit most from having added accountability?
• Which of your goals would likely be reached more quickly by having added accountability?
• Where do you tend to hide from accountability? Would bringing in a trusted friend or advisor and structured accountability liberate you from hiding out in this area of your life?
A good accountability partner is reliable, objective, honest and courageous. They are willing to call you out on your BS with respect. A great accountability partner will help to call you up and out and into the best version of yourself.
They show up and insist you do the same.
Not everyone is an ideal accountability partner.
Some of the things you want to avoid in an accountability partner are….
Someone who agrees with all your excuses and allows you to argue for your limitations is not the best accountability partner for you. Someone who is more invested in your reaction than your progress is probably not the best accountability partner for you. Someone who is inconsistent and unreliable is also not the best accountability partner for you. Someone who is too close to you, like your spouse or best friend, may not be the best accountability partner for you.
Choose wisely. Evaluate often.
Is there someone in your circle you respect and admire? Are there people in your network who also understand the value of personal and professional development experiences? Do you know someone who has a big personal or professional goal they are working to meet? Take a look around your world to see if there are some great candidates for you. And then, after a few sessions, be sure to evaluate the arrangement. If it’s not working, acknowledge it and move on, with gratitude and respect.
MONDAY MISSION #15: YOUR SECRET WEAPON: AN ACCOUNTABILITY PARTNER
MAKE 3 CHANGES™
3 KEYS TO CREATING A GREAT ACCOUNTABILITY PARTNERSHIP
1. Take time to set yourselves up for success. Have a conversation to get clear about when and how you will meet. Get your calendars out and block off the next few months and really honor these commitments to yourself and each other.
2. Create a framework for your sessions. Examples might include a series of 3 questions like – What are you celebrating from last week? What are your top 3 priorities for the week? How will you let me know you accomplished those things? Where do you feel stuck? What do you need to move forward? How do you want to BE this week? Come up with the questions that work best for you.
3. “Genius is born in limitation.” Keep it short & sweet. Aim for no more than 15 to 20 minutes. That gives each of you plenty of time to review the questions on your list and stay ON point and OUT of your story. This should be a conversation you look forward to having, that has energy to it, not one that drains you, drags on or you don’t look forward to.
COMMIT TO THE CHANGES YOU WANT TO MAKE.
Write them down! Post them where you’ll see them. Give them your attention.
Ask for accountability. Experience the satisfaction that comes from living by design, not default.
LEAN ON ME
If you love the idea of this but still have some questions about how to get started with an accountability partner, I’m happy to talk with you about it. Let’s have a conversation. Who knows, maybe I could end up being YOUR accountability partner! Give me a call! Choose the client accountability option.
DECLARE & SHARE!
Let me know what you came up with and how you did! Check the facebook page this week for additional resources and inspiration to help you create more accountability in your life. Experience how doing so can make a difference in your life, the lives of those you love and the lives of those you lead!
WHAT IS MAKE 3 CHANGES?
Make 3 Changes™ is a framework designed to help leaders move forward during times of change, challenge and opportunity. For more information about the Make 3 Changes™ framework and how you can use it to navigate changes in your world with more clarity, confidence and commitment, email email@example.com
WHAT ARE THE MAKE 3 CHANGES MONDAY MISSIONS?
These weekly missions are designed to get you thinking differently about various aspects of your life. Each month will feature several missions within a theme, helping you to build awareness, create alignment and take action. It is my hope they provide you with the tools you need to create positive and lasting change in your life, the lives of those you love, those you lead and those you serve. Always open to feedback about your experience. Let’s have some fun and make some changes!