What comes to mind when you think of spring cleaning? Opening up the windows around the house? Doing a little work in the yard? Changing out your closets and wardrobe? Tackling the garage?
Spring cleaning can be a useful practice in your organization as well!
• That new employee orientation that hasn’t changed much in 10 years.
• The volunteer training you can deliver in your sleep.
• The annual, required training that everyone is forced to endure.
What if you took some time to refresh the trainings you have coming up this spring?
Here are 3 changes you can make to spring clean your trainings!
1. Change your perspective. Put yourself in the role of the learner. If you can actually sit through the training, do it. But if you’re the one who leads it, you may want to ask one of your attendees or a past attendee to sit through it with the purpose of giving you some perspective about the experience. Ask them to write down a list of questions that come up for them. Ask them to make recommendations for how to elevate the experience. Ask them to put themselves in the role of a person who’s experiencing it for the first time. By inviting this level of support and feedback, you will be able to see things differently and create new possibilities. Embrace evaluation & feedback!
2. Change the scenery. Get out of that space or seating arrangement you’ve used for the last 10 years. Is there a away to rearrange the space or reorient the room to help create the illusion of a fresh space? Can you meet in a completely different location? Can you put a fresh coat of paint on the walls? The environment we are in is a key player in the learning experience. You’ll be amazed at how it feels to YOU as well. What could you do to create a more inviting, more comfortable and more conducive environment for the training you are delivering?
3. Change the materials & media. It’s time to change up your stories, your examples, your statistics, your clip art, your images and slides. If you have been doing the same training for a long time, this is probably one of the areas you’ll resist the most. Why? Because it takes time. And, it’s totally worth it! Your handouts, your workbooks, your visuals and props are also key elements of the experience. What can you do to redesign, refresh and ensure relevance? Be creative! Enlist the help of your marketing or graphic design folks. OR… find someone in the volunteer pool with those talents and give them a project they can get really excited about! Making it a habit to update and rotate the stories and examples you use, the images and tying your content to current events is a great way to increase engagement and enhance the experience for your learners.
The Big Question
How could a fresh perspective enhance the learning experiences you create? Be sure to check your inbox each Tuesday this month for a Training Tip you can use right away to enhance the experiences you design and deliver this spring!
Leave a comment and let me know how I can help.
Need a little help with this for yourself? Within your organization? Let’s talk.
Schedule a Clarity Conversation and let’s see what we can create, together, to help you make a greater difference in your life, the lives of those you love, those you lead and those you serve. It would be my honor to be of service.